Imran Khan has been relocated to Adiala jail following an order from the Islamabad High Court (IHC).

Imran Khan

On Tuesday, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan was transferred from Attock prison to Rawalpindi’s Adiala Jail, following orders from the Islamabad High Court (IHC), ending a period of controversy and uncertainty.

Imran Khan’s move to Adiala Jail was executed with strict security measures in place. A convoy consisting of 18 vehicles, including 15 from the Islamabad police, two armored vehicles, and an ambulance, accompanied him on the journey from Attock to Adiala Jail via the motorway.

The previous day, IHC Chief Justice Aamer Farooq had expressed frustration over Khan, an ‘under-trial prisoner,’ being held at Attock Jail instead of Adiala Jail. The court directed the authorities to transfer Khan to Adiala Jail, where he is serving a three-year sentence in the Toshakhana corruption case.

Initial confusion arose when Adiala Jail officials denied reports of Imran Khan’s transfer, contradicting claims made by his legal team. However, later, it was confirmed that Khan had indeed been moved to Adiala Jail.

Inside Adiala Jail, Imran Khan has been provided with a high-security B-Class barrack, similar to the one where former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif was detained. He will receive facilities in accordance with the court’s directives, including an attached bathroom in his cell. Additionally, prison service assistance will be available to Khan 24/7, although his menu preferences have yet to be determined.

Interestingly, a day after the court was urged to transfer Khan to Adiala Jail for better facilities, his lawyer indicated that Khan had “adjusted” to his situation in Attock Jail, emphasizing that jail is jail, regardless of the location. Nonetheless, the court recognized Khan’s entitlement to better class facilities due to his status as a former prime minister.

The IHC declared null and void the notification that had kept Khan in Attock Jail. The court approved the request to transfer him to Adiala Jail, citing his three-year sentence in the Toshakhana case. Despite the suspension of this sentence on August 28, Khan remained incarcerated due to his involvement in the cipher case.

In the cipher case, Imran Khan and PTI Vice Chairman Shah Mahmood Qureshi will remain in custody for the next 14 days, as their judicial remand was extended until October 10 by a special court. The IHC ruled that the next hearing of Khan’s bail plea in the cipher case will be held in an open court, as requested by the prosecution.

The cipher controversy began in March 2022 when Khan brandished a letter, alleging foreign interference in Pakistan’s internal affairs. Subsequent investigations and audio leaks have further complicated the case, leading to a probe by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) and ongoing legal proceedings.

Visit for more news.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *